St. Nicholas Church
Date of submission to the Tentative World Heritage List: 25/02/2000
List Reference: 1399
St.Nicholas church is in ancient Myria a large city in the Lykian Group.The church is made for the Bishop of this Mediterranean city duing the 4 th century AD. The floor of the church is several meters below street level, and is accessed by a steeply descending ramp. There are fine marble mosaic pavements and faded wall paintings throughout the church. The church has three side aisles; the two on the south have chapels at the east end. A room beyond the north aisle provides access to the upper storey. The nave is covered by a groined vault and has a synthronon (set of stepped seats for the clergy) with a covered passage in the apse. The stone altar is surrounded by four broken pillars and the exonarthex and narthex are well-preserved.