Things to do ?
- Ski in Palandöken ski resort, which is only 10 minutes away from city centre by public bus.
- In summer you can hike up to the top of Palandöken (3,150 m.a.s.l.) for fantastic views. There is a road (first paved up to some of the hotels, then a dirt road) up to the very top, but it is possible to take shortcuts when hiking. There are no marked trails, but the directions are clearly visible. It is good to start early to allow time to enjoy the views.
- Oltutaşı (Oltu stone in Turkish) — This is a kind of amber which is extracted only in Oltu, a town near Erzurum. It is mostly chipped into jewelry, with different levels of quality and correspondingly different levels of prices. Look around in Erzurum. Taşhan is the best place to shop for Oltutaşı and it is also an interesting traditional building.
- Silver — In jewelry shops in the center or on Taşmağazalar street, fancy authentic silver jewelry can be found.
Every Sunday, a brunch is being held in the ancient Byzantine Monastery in Gumusluk. The property is privately owned, andMore >>
- Turkey is not a skiing destination, at least for now. But Europeans who love Turkey and skiing, or Turkish citizensMore >>
- Information on some things to do when in Assos, one hour south of Troy (by car)
Walks: Through the manyMore >>